Thursday, June 20, 2013

Growth and Grass

I mowed the lawn this morning then went for a run. On the way back I noticed that many of the neighbor’s yards are recently mowed and I heard a lawn mower droning somewhere in the background. It suddenly hit me that the stabbing pain that usually accompanies that sound and the smell of fresh cut grass was conspicuously absent.

The day Damon died we were driven home from the hospital to my grandparents’ house. I remember almost nothing, flashes of moments here and there, but I do remember someone was mowing their lawn. I remember thinking “how could someone be doing something so normal?” The sound and the smell are burned into my memory.

Much of my life fresh cut grass was one of my favorite things. My Papa is the kindest person I’ve ever known. He loves his lawn. It has always been lush and green and unbelievably soft.  A commonly repeated story in my family features my little blonde self searching his flower beds for snails to rescue them from the exterminator. He would always laugh his big beautiful open laugh as I worked my way through his perfectly groomed yard searching for the slimy things. His home almost always smelled of fresh cut grass and often he did, too.

Today, for one of the very first times somehow I was able to hold both feelings, both memories at the same time. I didn’t immediately run. I didn’t double over with agony.

The few authors I’ve read who I feel have been genuine in their writing about grief talk about how devastating grief grows you. It’s not a comfortable growth. It’s excruciating. It’s growth I don’t even want. I would give it back in a heartbeat but it’s true, you grow. I’ve grown and I’m slowly becoming able to occasionally hold both pleasure and pain, each becoming more intense with the effort.

Today grass is a marker of that growth.

Until next time…

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I just wanted to say I love ya! I haven't seen ya in a bit and I need to see your lil one!!! Glad you found a marker today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal is very difficult when you are in deep grief. One really cannot say what it is. I have struggled deeply with your 2 recent posts and wanted to verbalize my feelings. Since my words were inadequate, I have prayed for you often and many times a day.

    Don't give up on God. Gratitude for what you do have (grass, Will, Isaiah, Raz, all those who love you, etc. etc. etc.) will make a difference.

    By the way, no one will ever forget Damon. He was too precious and we all miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confession: I'm a "blog-stalker"...but since you're married to my cousin it's how I keep up. You and I do not know each other well - we briefly met on your wedding day. But I think of all of you often. Especially this past year. "You Make Me Smile" came on the radio the other day and I thought of you, followed by the Cops theme song of course. I have to say that I admire and LOVE your honesty. The anger and anguish that most Christians would not even think about letting other people know that they possess, much less cop to it - it's real. We would love to see y'all at a Wiggins gathering soon!

    ReplyDelete