Monday, March 23, 2015

mediocre

So, I have PTSD... ya'll knew that... I knew that

I had a full on panic attack on Friday but that's the first I've had in months. I can go to the grocery store and restaurants (I even order for myself now). I can even do that really horrible "how are you?" "Fine, you?" bull crap now. (Though today someone asked how I'm doing and I said "shitty" and they didn't know what to say for a full minute... I guess sometimes I can't do it). Long ramble short, I've come a long way back into society. I think I was starting to believe that I'm functioning pretty close to "normally."

I've always had to work hard to learn. I'm not a hear it once, got it kind of kid (my hubby is). Knowledge is hard won for me but I've always functioned really naturally in an academic environment. This is the first semester since I've come back to school that I've had a truly full plate. I'm teaching, taking classes, and researching... and its kicking my butt.

I'm not new to this either. I was a single parent through much of my master's work. I put in nearly a full year on my PhD before Damon's death. Sure, it was hard but I rarely felt like I just couldn't hack it.

My brain is broken.

I was told by a few therapists before I gave up on the whole therapy thing that my mind is fractured. Because I can't deal with my memories of Damon's death I've partitioned it off, thrown up iron walls surrounded by a moat filled with crocodiles... you get the picture... and that this dividing of my mind prevents it from working correctly. I believe them. I believed them then. Believing them doesn't make me any more likely to walk back into those memories, but I believe.

I believed them because of the panic attacks, the incessant crying, the constant fear, the all consuming ever-present hurt.

But only in the past few months have I started to realize that the damage is not only emotional.

I regularly forget words, as in five or six times in a day, words like "door" and "computer" not to mention "argenine vassopressin" or "dompamenergic neuron." Everyday. I can't remember where I parked my car and perhaps most frightening of all to an academic, I cannot incorporate new information. I can learn it but I can't get it to sink down into me. It just sits there on the surface, tickling my mind when I try to go find it.

So I'm asking myself the question... can I deal with being mediocre? Can I accept average (really below average for a PhD). If I face the fact that I simply am not the person that I was in all ways, including my intelligence and capability, what does that mean? Can I still do this?

I don't know.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment