Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I carry him...

In one of my classes we are studying the endocrinology of development, specifically what hormones are involved in sexual differentiation. As part of our assigned reading we read an article about many of the ways a person can be an intermediate between the sexes. One of the things we read about is called a michrochimera.

Turns out that during gestation fetal stem cells cross the placenta into the maternal circulation and that these cells incorporate themselves into the maternal system. The fetal cells have been detected, living and functioning, in a woman as old as 94.

When I read this I was in scientist mode and my mind went off on a tangent about how that could work... biologically speaking. I mean seriously, HOW does that work. Cells that are genetically different from the body are working as part of the body. Cool.

Today, while I was sitting in class, my instructor said "So a mother carries cells from every fetus she has ever carried." and I lost it.

It hit me.

I carry him with me.

I LITERALLY carry him with me, physically.

Nothing will every make Damon's death better, or ok, or his absence any less agonizing but I am holding on to this with everything I have.

I carry him...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful... knowing I carry my son Robert with me (who is in Heaven too) and one I lost at 9 weeks gestation years ago... beautiful knowledge, some say there is no love closer to the love of God's than a mother to her child...

    ReplyDelete