Friday, June 3, 2011

How great is our God

I read fiction, a lot of fiction. My favorites are the books that are mystical and magical and where in the end good always triumphs over evil. Just last night I finished a book that deeply troubled me. In this book the gods (lower case ‘g’) of the protagonist had been overthrown by younger, more powerful gods. The original gods were petty and fickle, they sometimes favored certain individuals and blessed them immensely but could easily lose interest or become offended and turn on the once blessed with curses or indifference.

The people of my book desperately cried out to deaf ears while their crops withered and their men died at the hands of foreigners. My heart ached for these people, crying out to helpless, defeated and, at best, fickle gods.

Last night I couldn’t shake my angst. I felt sick until I realized because of the use of the word ‘god’ in the book I had been subconsciously equating these fictional gods with my GOD! I cried out “How great is our God”! Thank you Father that you are not fickle that you are the same yesterday and today and forever (Heb 13:8), that you love me no matter what (Rom 8:38).

I am reminded of a parable Jesus told, the story of my life!

Luke 15:11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons.12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.'

20 So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate.24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

Every time I read this story I see more parallels to my salvation. His father ran to him. Can you see this elderly man hiking up his robe and running full tilt toward his beloved son? Can you imagine the way his heart clenched with desperate, aching joy?

I know I came back to God is just this manner. I described myself as a beaten dog, tail tucked between my legs. I was just hoping He would let me lay near the door to just be close to His presence, His healing power. I knew I was not worthy to join Him in His home.

And yet, ran to me! He ran to me. He wooed me. He healed me. Praise Jesus who came to heal the sick (Luke 5:31-32). Praise God who is the great I AM (Ex 3:14), who created the heavens and the earth with His great and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for Him (Jer 32:17).

No comments:

Post a Comment