Sunday, December 20, 2015

Thank You

I hear a lot about gratitude.

"Just be grateful that..."

"Gratitude is the key to happiness."

I went through a long dark season where I was not about to be grateful for anything, period. My entire life gratitude had been so tightly tied to religion. I should be grateful for my existence. I should be grateful for grace. I should be grateful I wasn't incinerated on the spot for the horrible horribleness that was me.

After Damon's death I was NOT grateful for my existence, much less anything else. Every breath was razor blades.

It feels like every step since has been taken in quickly drying cement. I don't know what cosmic force I royally pissed off but this is just ridiculous. If there is a god I am definitely not grateful to him/her/it whatever.

But...

I have learned that gratitude is a beautiful, healing thing. A few months ago I started concentrating on true gratitude. What was I really deeply so very very glad for? It started on a drive home from school. I pulled into my driveway, looked at my burnt flesh colored fixer upper and was so so glad that this was my little corner of happy. Hubby and I worked hard to buy this little house. It is my favorite place in all of the world. Here is my sanctuary. Here reside all I hold dear. I sat in the driveway and dwelt on that feeling and some of the ever-present black lifted from my soul.

Gratitude, the real thing, the simple look-around-bask-in-what-I-love thing, is beautiful.

So, that crazy long introduction was to say this I am unbelievably, inexpressibly grateful for you.

Most of the time we feel very very alone. There are so many things that keep us apart. We are bereaved parents. We see the world in an entirely different way. We feel everything so intimately. Our values have shifted. What we will tolerate has changed. Our ability to be part of a social fabric is seriously frayed. My entire belief system has turned on its head. We are changed people. Our eldest child suffers with us and needs so much protection and now we know our rainbow is a zebra. We become further isolated from the world. Even if we were emotionally capable we couldn't socialize.

We. Are. Exhausted.

And then, there is you.

There is you who sends packages of hand sanitizer, and Mickey Mouse masks, and Amazon gift cards, and checks for money you could have used on christmas presents or home improvements or a million other things but you gave it to us.

For a wordsmith I fail so intensely at expressing what your gifts of love do to me.

It is like each one is a brilliant firework in the darkness of our lives. Just like the spirits of the crowds are lifted with each beautiful display of blues and reds and whites your kindness shreds the darkness with ravishing fireworks that spell "care" and "love" and "not alone."

Not alone...

I feel like our culture tells us that it isn't ok to need... anything. We despise the weak, the needy. I'm long long since past pretending like I wont accept help, like I don't desperately need support in any way you are willing to give it. And something really amazing has come from that. There are people... there is you... who really, genuinely want to help. Not because of some moral obligation or religious requirement but just because of who you are. That discovery, that network of beautiful souls, is precious to me.

And I am indescribably grateful for your love.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment