Thursday, December 17, 2015

Zebras

Damon had a large zebra wall sticker in his room next to his crib. He would wake from a nap and say "Zeea!!" I would walk in and he would be standing there at the very end of his crib excitedly pointing at the Zeea.

We kept that zebra. It hangs in our hall just outside of Rainbow's room. Every single time I look at it the image of Damon standing on his little tip toes, alight with excitement floats to the forefront of my mind. It hurts like hell... every time. But I wont take it down for anything.

Rainbow baby took a shine to that zebra too. As we exit his room he usually insists on touching it. It's a little post-nap ritual. He can say zebra perfectly now. Sometimes he wants
to just stay there in my arms for a few breaths and stare at it. It's like he knows that there is something there, some connection. It hurts like hell... every time. But I wont take it down for anything.

Today I found out that individuals with Rainbow's condition are called "Zebras" because medical students are taught "if it walks like a horse and talks like a horse think horse... not zebra." Well, in the case of immune deficiencies what you are actually looking at is a (expletive) zebra. Treating a zebra like a horse is (expletive) deadly... but I digress.


So, what we in-fact have is the very rare rainbow zebra. I feel a new tattoo coming on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment