Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rain

It’s raining today. Finally, I think. Finally the world reflects the darkness inside of me. But it doesn’t, not really. Birds are singing. No birds sing in my world. There is no light, no air, no song. I haven’t cried yet today, that’s new. It makes me wonder, where am I now on this lonely journey? I would say I’m numb but the pain is so present this can’t be numbness, exhaustion maybe. Maybe I’m just too tired to cry. The anger is starting to build. It has no direction, no focus. It’s just there, rolling in my chest. I dreamt this morning, the first time since my baby left my life. Maybe I haven’t been dreaming because I’ve been so doped up on Tylenol PM. I don’t know, but I was thankful. I actually thanked God last night that I hadn’t dreamt of him and then it came. My child was alive, he was asleep in my arms, his precious little blonde curls were soaked with sweat. In the dream I knew the crisis had passed and then I woke up.

I’ve been crying out to God. I thought I had cried out before. I thought I had been desperate before, in the blackness of my self-made pit but that was nothing compared to this. I am desperate. I’ve asked over and over to see Him. Lord, I NEED to know You’re there! I need to know You’re real. I’ve been desperate for His voice, for His peace.

I tend to get very annoyed with people who claim to want God, who claim to desperately want to hear His voice and yet do nothing to seek Him. I’ve wanted to scream so many times “Well, are you in the Word?” So I followed my own obnoxious advice. My precious Papa and Nannie took us to Mardel. I sat on the floor in front of a wall of Bible studies and called out to my Father. Which one? At the moment I’m overwhelmed by questions like: would you like some butter? As desperate as I am to hear Him speak choosing among the dozen or so studies written by my favorite Bible teacher, not to mention the hundreds of others took my breath away. I narrowed it to two. I laid one on my left and one on my right (did I mention I was on my knees in the middle of a store). I laid one hand on each and prayed: which one? It was obvious which one God had chosen, the one on my right. Of course it was not the one I was hoping He would choose. This almost made me laugh, almost.

I dug into the study and at last…a measure of peace. It is inexplicable but there it was, peace. The pain was not gone, not by a long shot but there was peace. Undoubtedly, He will teach me so many things through this study. He always does but for now I am clinging to the verse He gave me yesterday.

Hebrews 10:35 So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you!

I wrote it on my arm in permanent marker. I asked, He spoke. Praise the Lord oh my soul! All my inmost being praise His Holy name!!

4 comments:

  1. So good Jodie. His still quiet voice is strength. I bought you and Will a book when you are ready. - jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie. I can't get this image of you in Mardel out of my head. Its just...everything I would hope to be in my darkest hour. Still clinging to the Lord. Uncaring of the world. You are so faithful. This was a gift...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie,

    I live in Edmond, OK and know and respect Dan and Angi beyond words that I can write in a comment section. I just want you to know that I pray for you and your family daily both by myself and with my children. My children know who Damon is and their hearts break for your family as well. Thank you for sharing your path. I am so sorry for your loss, and certainly wouldn't want that for anyone. I do really appreciate you sharing your journey with me. I am learning from God through your pain.

    It is ironic timing that I just wrote a blog post about not being in the Word enough and about not spending appropriate time with God. I complain about my problems and do not head to the answer when I have numerous copies all over the place.

    Your insight will provide a paradigm shift for many. Thank you again for sharing. ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete