Thursday, August 9, 2012

a lie


I’ve been thinking (wipe that exaggerated ‘oh, I’m so shocked’ look off of your face. I can feel the sarcasm from here). The bible is pretty brutal, brutally truthful. From the faults and failures of the patriarchs (and let me just say, wow!) to the denial of Peter there are no pulled punches.

It seems to me that first, no human outside of Holy Spirit inspiration would be that honest. I would think there would be strong temptation to ‘pretty up’ the story. Do you think the gospel writers stomachs turned as they penned the details of Peter’s denial? Peter… a focal point and leader of the New Testament church. Or perhaps less condemningly but incredibly embarrassing the continual cluelessness of the apostles throughout Jesus’ ministry. “Who will be the greatest?” That kind of honesty took serious humility and that kind of humility is inhuman… at least I think so.

What if they had done what we do? What if they had put on their “church clothes” and plastic smiles and answered every question with “fine, how are you?” Where on earth would we be today? How many believers have been comforted or saved by the truth of these stories? By the embarrassing truth.

Paul tells us blatantly that we are told the Old Testament stories so that we will not be lead into the same temptations. We are told so we can learn from their mistakes.

When did we stop doing this? When did we stop being transparent?

In Judges it seems that one generation would turn to God then the next would be horrifyingly unfaithful. Did they fail to tell their children the horrors they had experienced? Were they too embarrassed or too proud to be honest? Are we? Am I?

How on earth can I hope to help anyone, to help anyone learn from my (many) mistakes if I refuse to be embarrassingly honest?

“Fine, how are you” Gag…

Then it hit me. Not only does this damage those around me and isolate me it is a lie. Is that a ‘whoa’ moment for anyone else? It’s a lie…  

A socially acceptable lie. Really a socially expected and almost required lie but a lie

Whoa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment