Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Teach me other things

The other night I kneeled beside Isaiah’s bed after we read books and he talked to his dad. I asked “may I pray over you tonight?” He shook his head yes and nuzzled into the covers. Praying over my children aloud has not been a custom of mine. I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe because after the 14th “but I’m thirsty” or “just one more book” I didn’t want to introduce yet another excuse not to go to sleep. Now, however, I need to. I need to whisper my prayers aloud to my Father where my grieving son can hear them.

I ran my fingers through Isaiah’s hair and whispered “Holy Father, please teach Isaiah to love you. In the healing and saving name of Jesus, Amen.”

“Is that all?” Isaiah asked

“That’s what I wanted to say to him lovie” I replied “is there something you would like to say to God?”

“God, please teach me other things. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” Isaiah put his request to God.

I had to stifle a laugh, not wanting him to think I was laughing at his simple, beautiful prayer. The laugh was and explosion of merriment, joy. I’m so in love with this kid, I thought. I told him my favorite verse in all of the Bible

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know – Jer 33:3

“He will teach you lovie. Goodnight, I love you.” He was already asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment