Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Thankful

Today two of my precious sisters dropped their lives and drove an hour to sit and listen to us talk about Damon. It hurts. It hurts to say his name, to remember his silly little habits and his tendency to poop in the bath tub but it hurts a million times more not to. They watched a video of him dancing and we laughed. I laughed today. They will never understand the gift they gave me. I miss him, every second, every minute, every day. I miss him.

I'm held together today by the strength of the church. Not a building, not a denomination, not an idea, the church, Christ's body. Every morning I wake to text messages of scripture. In the first days I held to these like air. I didn't have the strength to search His word myself, my brothers and sisters brought it to me. We are covered over with prayer constantly. Our small group has committed to walk with us for the long haul, they have committed to not forget, not ever let us walk alone. Grateful is not a strong enough word.

I know there are those who have sworn off "church." I was one. I was so wounded and broken by hypocrisy that I refused to be a part of a body of believers. God slowly healed me of those wounds and today I cling to my brothers and sisters. We are to be His hands and feet. Today I am carried. Today I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your strength. Praise God that in griefs heavy fog you find thankfulness. That is the Lord...He is with you. His Spirit intercedes when you dont have the strength! The song All I Can Say by The David Crowder Band keeps coming to my mind as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not Summer, or your sisters, or your friends, or any of us doing the work to comfort and love you, Jodie, Will and Isaiah. It is God. It is God working through Summer, your sisters, your friends and family. He is with you every second. Continue to hold tight to him and he will show you strength you never knew existed. This is LOVE. He is LOVE. He will lead you to eternity and the forever beautiful life, where all YOUR LOVE lives.

    Torre

    ReplyDelete